Maria Korsnick Joins Fukushima Response Steering Committee
BALTIMORE, MD, June 28, 2011— Constellation Energy Nuclear Group, LLC℠ (CENG℠) Chief Nuclear Officer and Chief Operating Officer Maria Korsnick will take a leading role in the U.S. nuclear energy industry’s efforts to ensure that lessons learned from the events at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear facility in Japan result in safety enhancements at U.S. nuclear plants.
Korsnick, a 25-year nuclear industry veteran, is one of 12 members on the newly-formed Fukushima Response Steering Committee, which will oversee the U.S. nuclear industry’s response to Fukushima. The Japanese nuclear facility suffered severe damage from the combined impact of a March 11 earthquake and tsunami.
“CENG’s top priority has always been the safety and security of our nuclear plants,” Korsnick said. “I look forward to working with my colleagues on the Fukushima Response Steering Committee to maintain the highest standard of safety at every U.S. nuclear energy facility.”
“The Steering Committee will ensure we are focusing on the right priorities and are efficiently learning and implementing the short- and long-term lessons from Japan among the nuclear power industry,” Korsnick added.
The Fukushima Response Steering Committee is comprised of senior electric utility executives and reactor vendors and their affiliated Owners Group; the Nuclear Energy Institute (NEI); the Institute of Nuclear Power Operations (INPO); and the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) to coordinate and oversee response activities.
Fukushima Response Steering Committee Members:
- Chip Pardee, Chief Operating Officer, Exelon Generation Company, Fukushima Response Steering Committee Chairman
- Randy Edington, Executive Vice President and Chief Nuclear Officer, Arizona Public Service Company
- Maria Korsnick, Chief Nuclear Officer and Chief Operating Officer, Constellation Energy Nuclear Group (CENG)
- John Herron, President, Chief Executive Officer and Chief Nuclear Officer, Entergy Nuclear
- Ed Halpin, President and Chief Executive Officer, STP Nuclear Operating Company
- Dave Heacock, President and Chief Nuclear Officer, Dominion Nuclear
- Dennis Koehl, Vice President and Chief Nuclear Officer, Xcel Energy
- Mike Pacilio, Chief Nuclear Officer, Exelon Corporation
- Bill Webster, Senior Vice President, Industry Evaluations, INPO
- Rick Purcell, Senior Vice President, Industry Performance Improvement, INPO
- Neil Wilmshurst, Vice President and Chief Nuclear Officer, EPRI
- Tony Pietrangelo, Senior Vice President and Chief Nuclear Officer, NEI
The framework of the industry’s joint report is outlined here, “The Way Forward: U.S. Industry Leadership in Response to the Accidents at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant” which can be found at www.nei.org.