We also remember the many who were injured and their family members and friends. The terrorists failed to extinguish our idea of love of country and each other, our ability to overcome adversity, and our deep sense of patriotism.
The nuclear industry has always been one of the best protected, secure and safest industries against natural, man-made and terrorist events. That is true for the CENG Fleet of five reactors located at Calvert Cliffs in Maryland, and Nine Mile Point and R.E. Ginna in New York. Our facilities are safe, secure and prepared, and are operated by highly-trained, experienced and knowledgeable professionals.
Over the past 10 years, we have invested many millions of dollars in additional and substantial safety and security enhancements to exceed standards…
- Patrolled by well trained, highly motivated security officers with state-of-the-art weapons. They undergo hours and hours of practice, drills, training, and exercises to ensure we are prepared for any threat;
- We have made significant technological advances in detection equipment;
- We have installed multiple physical barriers in the forms of concrete barriers, barbed wire fences, and other modes of security;
- The actual design of a nuclear power facility helps it be secure and safe; visit www.nei.org for more details;
- We learn from others in our industry; we are all in this together so we share our best practices, key learnings and support each other to ensure we have the latest learnings and technologies for protecting our people, the public and sites;
- We are provided real-time threat information from the Department of Homeland Security and other intelligence agencies through the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).
- We have close partnerships with local, state and federal officials;
- The NRC is an independent regulator/watchdog that oversees our facilities;
- We work hand-in-hand with all these groups to keep our employees, the public and our facilities safe from harm.
Commercial nuclear power facilities in the U.S. are widely considered to be the most robust, safe and secure non-military facilities with state-of-the-art security force training and best-in-class security and safety equipment. We are proud of what the independent NRC and the nuclear energy industry have achieved together in enhancing nuclear security since the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.
Our continuous learning, sharing of best practices across the industry, and ensuring there are redundant, backup safety and security systems are keys to our success.
Safety is CENG’s and the entire nuclear industry’s top value. We operate safely and reliably while ensuring our employees and community neighbors are safe and protected. We produce safe, clean, 100% carbon free, and more affordable electricity for millions of residents, homes and businesses.